This site may contain affiliate links and advertisements so that we can serve you recipes. read my private policy.
A sweet, tart fruit filling and a flaky golden crust make this strawberry rhubarb pie a summertime dessert. With a fresh and decadent pie, you’ll never want to buy it at the store again!
The sweetness of strawberry juice and the bright, sweet flavor of rhubarb is the perfect combination to enjoy in summer! Mine PeacheAnd the Lemon, And the gear key Pancakes are a family favorite with a summertime-ready flavor you’ll love making this season!
The perfect strawberry rhubarb pie recipe
Being my mum’s favorite, we always had the strawberry rhubarb pie that grew up in our house. For some reason, I’ve never been too keen on the idea of vegetables in a pastry. I wish I could go back in time and try my little one the strawberry rhubarb pie because it’s the best! If you’re not sure about rhubarb, it’s time to try this delicious pie. With the perfect soft, flaky crust and blend of fruity flavors, I’m sure it’ll make you a believer too!
It’s rhubarb season now, so don’t miss out! Fresh rhubarb always tastes best in baked goods. The refreshing, pungent flavor pairs well with things like cakesThe cobblers and wrinkle! It is also easy to prepare. Most fresh rhubarb comes with its poisonous leaves already removed, so all you have to do is chop it up and add it to your recipe! This strawberry rhubarb pie is the perfect addition to summer desserts.
Fresh Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Ingredients
Many of these ingredients will already be in your pantry, all you need is fresh fruit and homemade crust To make your pie really pop! See all measurements in the recipe card below.
- local Or store-bought pie crust: You will need a 9-inch pie crust. You can get this at the store, but if you want your pie to be buttery and flaky, try incorporating The perfect granny pie crust!
- Fresh rhubarb: Cut into small pieces. Fresh rhubarb is sometimes hard to find, so you can use frozen rhubarb as a substitute.
- Fresh strawberries: Peeled and cut into small pieces.
- granulated sugar: To sweeten the fruit filling and help the flavors melt together.
- Brown sugar: Adds moisture and richness to the fruit filling.
- Corn Starch: Keeps the fruit filling from becoming too runny. This can also be replaced with tapioca flour.
- salt: Pinch to enhance flavors.
- Vanilla extract: To add flavor to your stuffing. Pure vanilla extract works best.
- Lemon peel: To balance sweetness and add savory flavour.
- Lemon juice: Adds fresh, juicy flavor to your fruit filling.
- salted butter: I love using salted butter to enhance the flavors in this pie.
- yolk: The fat content of the egg yolk adds richness and binds the ingredients together.
- Water: Mix with the egg yolk until the eggs are cooked.
How to make homemade strawberry rhubarb pie
Making a pie at home doesn’t have to be complicated. Follow the instructions below for a delicious, fresh, perfectly baked pie! This combination of strawberry and rhubarb tastes like summer in every bite!
- preheat: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare the pie crust: In a 9-inch skillet, place one of the pie crusts evenly into the pan and press it into the pan. Set aside in the fridge until the filling is ready.
- Mix fruits and dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, add chopped rhubarb and strawberries. In a small bowl, mix together granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients and fill the pie: Pour over the fruit and mix. Add the vanilla, lemon peel and lemon juice and mix again. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and brush with butter.
- pie cover: Place the top crust over the filled pie and crimp the edges together. Cut a few holes in the end shell to allow steam to escape.
- Add egg wash: Use a fork to mix the egg yolk and water together and using a pastry brush, brush evenly across the top crust. You can sprinkle some granulated sugar or granulated sugar crystals over it for more texture and sweetness.
- Bread: Place the pie on a baking sheet lined with parchment (this will prevent it from spilling in the oven if the pie is on top) and bake on the middle rack for about 45-50 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the top crust is golden. If the crust becomes too dark before the time is up, cover it lightly with aluminum foil to avoid burning the top crust while the bottom crust is baking.
- Fabulous: Leave to cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Strawberry rhubarb pie tips and tricks
Use these tips to help you create a pie And therefore Well, your friends and family will fight for the last piece. Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is a sweet and delicious combination that everyone loves!
- rhubarb: When shopping for fresh rhubarb, look for firm stems that are not torn or stained. If your rhubarb is bright, this means that it has a pungent flavor. To prepare fresh rhubarb, simply wash it and make sure to discard the leaves and chop them into small pieces. If using frozen rhubarb, thaw and drain before adding to the pie, or it will become runny and mushy.
- Strawberries: Make sure the strawberries are plump and dark red. Once strawberries are picked, they do not continue to ripen, so avoid strawberries that have a lot of green or white on them.
- Use a lot of flour: If you are making pie crust from scratch, try not to use too much flour when rolling out the dough. It can absorb the extra flour and leave you with a hard, tough crust.
- Cold pie crust: This is the secret to getting a perfectly flaky crust. When a cold pie crust is placed in the oven, a chemical reaction occurs and an unstable outer layer is formed.
- Let your pie cool completely: I know it’s one of the hardest tips to follow, but patience is key! Letting the pie cool completely is the only way to make sure you don’t have a soup mess when you slice it. Wait at least 30 minutes before applying.
Nothing beats a warm strawberry rhubarb pie with a scoop of melted ice cream on top. It’s the perfect dessert for a summer night. try me Homemade keto ice cream or Soft Vanilla Served Frozen Yogurt Top for a healthy twist on a fun treat. Do you have more strawberries and rhubarb on hand? serve Crunchy strawberry rhubarb And the cakes A selection of fruity desserts that will make any get-together even sweeter!
How long does a strawberry rhubarb pie last?
The strawberry rhubarb pie will keep at room temperature for up to two days with plastic wrap or foil on top. If you live in a very hot climate, I do not recommend keeping your pie at room temperature or the fruits will become mushy. This strawberry rhubarb pie is best kept in the refrigerator and will last up to 5 days.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
at 9 inch pie panPlace one of the pie crusts evenly in the pan and press it into the pan. Set aside in the fridge until the filling is ready.
In a medium bowl, add chopped rhubarb and strawberries. In a small bowl, mix together granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
Pour over the fruit and mix. Add the vanilla, lemon peel and lemon juice and mix again. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and brush with butter.
Place the top crust over the filled pie and crimp the edges together. Cut a few holes in the end shell to allow steam to escape. Use a fork to mix the egg yolk and water together and with a spoon pastry brushBrush it evenly across the top crust. You can sprinkle some granulated sugar or granulated sugar crystals over it for more texture and sweetness.
put the pie on a baking sheet Lined with foil (this will prevent spillage in your oven if the pie is on top of it) and bake on the middle rack for 45-50 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the top crust is very golden brown. If the crust becomes too dark before the time is up, cover it lightly with aluminum foil to avoid burning the top crust while the bottom crust is baking.
Leave to cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Calories138Calories (7%)carbohydrates27g (9%)protein1g (2%)Fat3g (5%)Saturated fat2g (10%)unsaturated fats1gMonounsaturated fat1gunsaturated fats1gcholesterol24mg (8%)sodium30mg (1%)potassium78mg (2%)the basic1g (4%)sugar23g (26%)Vitamin A114IU (2%)Vitamin C22mg (27%)Calcium21mg (2%)iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, methods of measurement, and portion sizes for each household.