I’ve been late to the party all season, but I just participated in the show Ted Lasso, which features a very charming (American-type) soccer coach who heads across the pond to coach a soccer club for the first time (soccer-type). It’s so sweet and feels so happy, and new episodes air every Friday on Apple TV+. But I’m not here to talk about the show—I’m here to talk about the cute pink box of freshly baked shortbread cookies that Ted brings to his boss every morning.
The boxes make me nostalgic for my special days working in a bakery, where I clocked countless hours folding and assembling cardboard packages like the ones on the show. The biscuit reminds me of my grandmother, who loves shortbread – which, as we are (and the British in Ted Lasso) You know, it’s the perfect cookie to have with tea. She lives in Atlanta and I live in New York, so I always send her some for birthdays and special occasions, and over the years I’ve come up with two favorites that can be shipped nationwide: Vanilla shortbread and Back in the Day Bakery’s lavender cake. But as I watched TED boss Rebecca Welton enjoying the mini bread, I realized I couldn’t think of the last time I ate some myself. So I took a trip through the archives to find some recipes, which you can find in the list below. I plan to try one (or two, three…) before the next episode.
In the meantime, here are a few more things I love:
- this is A comprehensive guide to all tips for dining out From Epicurious, especially iced cocktail And Ice box cake entries
- And a guide to everything sticky rice
- Perfect dining itineraries by local restaurant experts everywhere from New Orleans to Bozeman for the August print magazine (Subscribe here for future issues)
- Met Gala plans for this year, Which includes a group of absolutely wonderful chefs – and an all-vegetarian (!)
- a A conversation I had with Jana Schmieding, co-author and co-writer of another great show, Rutherford Falls, which was just picked up for the second season. We discussed what I ate in the book room, food sovereignty, and more
- Very helpful review about Epicurious products serrated knivesJust in time for tomato season
- And speaking of tomatoes, I’m a fundamentalist, but this Tomato Caesar recipe Next time my market size is less than perfect. Plus more new recipes perfect for dog days in August: Dominic SpaghettiAnd Grilled squash with chickpeasAnd Eggplant noodles cooked with spicesAnd summer corn rice
Please tell me about the TV shows (or movies, plays, video games, or books) that made you cook something new – but no spoilers, please! I’m at [email protected].
More exotic recipes: