This site may contain affiliate links and advertisements so that we can serve you recipes. read my private policy.
Watermelon Agua Fresca is the perfect drink to keep you cool this summer with the smooth and crunchy flavor of fresh watermelon! You will love how crazy delicious and easy this is to make!
Making a great summer drink doesn’t have to be complicated. For other super easy drinks to help you beat the heat, try My Appetite WaterAnd the Lemonade And the Peach Chiller Recipes!
What is agua fresca?
Agua fresca originated from Mexico and Central America and translates to “cold water”. Unlike juice or juice, agua fresca is fresh fruit that is added to water to give it a crunchy, delicious flavor without being overpowering! With watermelon being one of my favorite summer fruits, I thought it would be a perfect choice for this drink! I love that it doesn’t have any artificial flavors and it’s so refreshing for the summer days we have here in Utah!
I’ve been using watermelon for a lot of cooking lately. Gotta benefit from having them in season! It has the best texture and flavour, helps keep you hydrated and is perfect for hot weather! I loved having watermelon salad And the Watermelon and feta salad For cold summer meals. Lots of fruity goodness in this watermelon Agua Fresca!
Fresh water melon ingredients
You’ll probably only need fresh watermelon to put your Agua Fresca watermelon drink together. It’s that easy! For all measurements for ingredients, scroll to the recipe card.
- watermelon: 4 cups diced with seeds removed. Check out our tips for choosing the best watermelon below!
- Water: This drink works best with cold water.
- sugar: For the sweetness of taste.
- Lemonade: You can use bottled lemon juice, but I recommend using the juice of one lemon for extra fresh flavor.
- Lemon and mint garnish: Looks great and tastes great too!
Make your own Agua Fresca
Agua Fresca watermelon comes together in a matter of minutes. Just mix and go! mixed berries And the peach berries Smoothies are another quick and delicious beverage that you can try!
- mixIn a blender, add watermelon and water and mix.
- Add sugar: Add sugar and lemon juice and mix.
- Entrees: Garnish with lemon and mint slices.
- Serves: Best chilled service.
Should you strain agua fresca?
It’s up to you and a great choice! Watermelon agua fresca is a light and refreshing summer drink. Agua fresca means “fruit water”. To make Agua Fresca even better, using a strainer will help remove the fleshy part of the watermelon that is not completely blended in the blender. This will leave the watermelon juice with a watery, fluffy consistency without any solids in the drink. This is optional and can come in handy with the taste and texture of watermelon.
Picking watermelon and making the best agua fresca
Ripe watermelon makes a big difference in the quality of your drink. Follow these tips to make your Agua Fresca taste incredible!
- watermelon: The best melons will be dark green with clearly defined stripes. Also choose more faded watermelon. If it is very shiny, it means that it is not ripe yet. Choose the heaviest watermelon, too. This means that they have more water content inside of them.
- cut: Follow the shape of the watermelon when cutting it. This way, you will only cut the peel and not the excess fruit. Once the rind is completely cut off, you should be left with a nice round ball of watermelon. Cut this in half and lay flat side down on a cutting board. Now you can easily cut it into cubes!
- Fresh water flavours: Try substituting the fruit in agua fresca for guava, mango, papaya, and pineapple to create other amazing tropical flavors. You can also use other flavors like horchata to make a more traditional version of the recipe.
What do you serve with your drink?
I always like to pair drinks like these with a salad in summer. It helps calm me down and it’s a delicious combination! For a meal inspired by Mexican cuisine, serve Agua Fresca with my family favorite corn salad! This drink also pairs well with fruit-based salads like my avocado strawberry Power. Ready for summer parties, try serving this with skewers And the appetizer salad. Nobody will leave hungry!
Storage of watermelon agua fresca
In a sealed jug, you can keep agua fresca watermelon for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Separation may occur, so be sure to stir before serving.
Calories191Calories (10%)carbohydrates49g (16%)protein1g (2%)Fat1g (2%)Saturated fat1g (5%)unsaturated fats1gMonounsaturated fat1gsodium3mgpotassium171mg (5%)the basic1g (4%)sugar47g (52%)Vitamin A865IU (17%)Vitamin C12mg (15th%)Calcium12mg (1%)iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, methods of measurement, and portion sizes for each household.