This creamy homemade banana pudding recipe can be made using just a few basic ingredients.
There is no cashew
Without eggs or heavy cream
And unlike many of the other quick banana pudding recipes you can find online, there is also no Cool Whip and no need for an instant vanilla pudding mix for this recipe.
You may also like: Brownies are vegetarian – The reader’s favorite recipe
Here is the chocolate version ➜ Healthy chocolate pudding
Banana ingredients with milk
The recipe can be made with only five ingredients, and it is easily customizable.
Most granular or liquid sweeteners will work here, and be sure to use pure vanilla extract, not imitation. Turmeric is completely optional, for color.
I chose non-GMO cornstarch to thicken the pudding, but it’s easy to make banana pudding without cornstarch if you prefer:
Simply use my recipe for Coconut whipped cream And mix in two bananas.
For the milk you choose, feel free to choose your favorite one. Canned coconut milk will achieve the richest and creamiest results, or it will also work with soy or almond milk.
Ways to eat pudding
Serve or combine this Southern vegan banana pudding Nella vegan chips.
Or, transfer the pudding to a pie crust and place it in the refrigerator until thickened, for a quick and easy homemade banana pudding.
Try adding 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter to a banana peanut butter pudding!
Above, watch the vegan banana pudding recipe video
- 2 Mashed ripe banana
- 1 1/4 Glass Favorite milk
- Sweetener of your choice, such as 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup or sugar, or a pinch of stevia
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Cornstarch or arrowroot (Or see substitution above)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric is optional for color
- Optional 1 tablespoon of vegetable butter or coconut butter, for a richer taste
* You can also add 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter to turn it into a banana peanut butter pudding.In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix bananas, sweeteners, optional ingredients and a cup of your favorite milk. Mix a quarter cup of the remaining milk with the cornstarch. Once the banana mixture is warm, whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Simmer over low heat, whisking occasionally, until thick. Turn off the heat and add vanilla. (If you don’t eat right away, you can take it off the stove before it gets thick, let it cool, then cool. The dessert will thicken significantly in the fridge.) If you want a smoother texture, feel free to use a hand mixer. Serve hot or cold.View nutrition facts
More healthy fruit recipes: